Friday, July 1, 2016

Helen Balusik: April 9, 1928 Evanston Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was good. I was on vacation. The weather was just right for me, most of the time.
Well, here is the next letter from Helen:



 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                      Evanston, Ill.
                       Apr.8-28
Dear Howard:
   Your letter and Easter booklet
was received and I sure was
pleased with them you can be
sure, yes & also the cute little
picture.
  Just think Easter is here today
I was to church this morning &
want to go this afternoon but
before the girls get ready I can
easily have your letter written.
  Last night was out with
Anna Novy & her brother- He has
a car you know so he's quite
lucky - Anna sends her regards
to you she told me to be sure &
tell you.
   I don't believe that anyone
could get lonesome for me, - (ha ha)
I never heard of anyone so far
So I bet you only imagine that.
Seeing there are so many nice
girls around Ogema I don't see
why you should be a lonely boy!

                   2
Yes, my friend said she would write
to your brother real soon. So tell
him to wait patiently - It sure
is fun to write to strangers I think
don't you?
  I really haven'y decided when I
am coming home yet, I'm sure
its quite awhile.
  There are several lakes around
our place in Phillips but not
the one right in Phillips its such
an awful looking one with
all kinds of logs & stumps in it.
  I wonder how it is out
 home today. Here it snows once
in awhile & then next minute
is sunshining.
  Well Howard, you need not
bother about the story that was
in the Milwaukee Journal as
long as it you have to write for
it. Why have so much trouble
on account of me, I'm not
worth it (Ha Ha)
  What do you usually do
on Sundays there? I'm sorry to

                   3
hear you don't go to church oh, you
bad boy - Well, I surely would
make you go if I was only nearer.
   You should see how nice &
green the grass is here & the trees are
all budding will be May time
before we know it.
   I can see the cars flying by
believe me if I had one of these
big "moons" or stars" I'd even
drive down to Ogema for a joke
and surprise you - but you see
this is only imagination of
mine,
Well Howard, I hope I can
hear from you again.
Sure was sweet of you to send
me that Easter greeting
              Sincerely yours
                           Helen

It was a nice three page letter written around Easter time.
I wonder if Grandpa was trying to convince her that he was lonely for her. I guess I'm one of those people who does not get lonely for someone they never actually met. But Grandpa was looking for the right one.
I wonder if Moons or Stars were some kind of car or just a phrase used at the time referring to cars.
The weather sounds like a typical April. Sometimes experiencing more then one season in a short time.
She mentions a lake in Phillips. I think the lake is Lake Duroy. Today it does not look like that today. I found a picture of a historical marker on Phillips.So here is a little history about Phillips:

Image result for Lake Duroy phillips wi
Here are the first two cards in a new set. I'm thinking of calling it "Childhood Fun", what do you think?

 Unconditional, but Happy.      Copyright Griffith & Griffith
 Doing the chores.

This set is in color. I don't know what year this was. It is the only set I have that is in this kind of color.

Here is a random picture for you to look at.

This is a picture of a logging operation. No idea when it was taken.

Well that's about all I have to share with you to. I hope you have a very nice 4th of July weekend.
Don't forget to drop by from time to time for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment