Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Sigrid Niemela: April 12, 1928 Mt. Iron, Minn.

Dear Friends,
I hope this post find you all well. I had a very good weekend. The play I was involved with was  a success. It will take me awhile to get the songs out of my head.Everyone who saw it will say how much they enjoyed it. Other then that everything else for me was very quiet.
But it was exciting last night in Wisconsin. Rain. Lots of rain. Up north they got so much rain some roads were washed out. it will take months for them to be fixed right.
Anyway, here is the letter from Sigrid:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                    Mt. Iron, Minn
                     Apr. 12, 1928
Dear Howard,
You don't mind I hope,
if I call you by your
first name, for I con-
sider you as my friend
now, and hope we can
be so forever. I received
your most welcome
letter a few days ago.
Thanks ever so much.
I haven't had time to
answer it before tho:
 Oh, but its cold here
again. Snowed yester-
day like everything and
today is like December,
and I was so waiting
for nice days ti cheer

me up.
What do you mean
by saying "chain letters",
I never heard that
expression used before,
I just wrote to mother,
she's always waiting for
letters and news of
grandpa's illness, no matter
how often I write. I
have no brothers or
sisters married. I often
wish some were so
I could go & see them
sometimes & relieve the
monotony of this life.
But it looks as if we
all are born old-
maids & bachelors.
Mother always teases
me, that I'll be the
 first one if any at

                2.
all. She thinks I'm
"wild" rather if I get
loose but I think she's
mistaken. But because
I'm not under her
wing & here in town
instead of the farm,
she's so suspicious, but
she's a dear mother all
the same, even if I
hardly know her.
 Have you ever traveled
anywhere here is Minn?
I've never been out of
this state, and only
about 300 miles off
from this town, so
I certainly haven't seen

very much of this
world yet. I wish we
were closer so it
would have been pos-
sible to see each
other sometimes only I
assure you there's noth-
ing on me to see worth
looking at, if we ever
do meet.
 I'll close for this
time and next time
more. Let's hear from
you soon again. Pardon
my pencil writing, it
isn't nice I know but
I hate to write with
ink so I never even
think of it when I
start.
             Sincerely,
                  Sigrid.

It sounds like winter was still holding on in her area at that time. She did live in the upper north east corner of Minn. Winter still does that yet in that area.
I wonder if grandpa was asking her if she would like to get a chain letter. I wonder how often Grandpa did things with a chain letter?
Chain letters today are the kind of things you get on Facebook or your e-mails where you are suppose to send it to a certain number of people. If you do that you will have some kind of good luck. Do you get yourself involved with those kind of things?
I wonder if she was ever able to travel father then 300 from home? I hope she did. There is so much to see in this world I still hope I will someday get to see.
 I wonder if she was "Wild" or if it was her mothers way of getting under her skin by saying she is one thing when really she was the opposite. I wonder how close she was to her mother. She makes it sound like they were not very close to me, how about you?

Here are the next two viewer cards from the "Childhood Fun" set:

 "Now Children, You Must Kiss and Make Up."
The Truants.

Kids and puppies always go together.
I wonder what is in that barrel? Whatever is in it the boy on the top is about to get a swat on the behind.

Here is a random picture fro you to look at:

Taken during someones trip out west. I wonder if it still exists and if it still says: "The Land of Infinite Variety".

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then, stay dry.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment