Friday, July 8, 2016

Mary Mattingly: April 11, 1928 Willisberg, Ky

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was good. I had most of the week off from work, except Tuesday. The reason I had off is because I'm involved with the local community theater. This week is when the public gets to see our hard working results. And last night was opening night. We were a hit! Now for the next two nights to be the same or even better.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Mary Mattingly:


Now this letter is once again very hard to figure out because of the, what I like to call, broken English. I'll do my best to get it right:

                    Willisberg Ky.
                     April 10, 1928
Dear Mr. Howard H. Johnson
I received your letter yesterday
was glad to get it. I
in joy receiving letters
it is a pleasure to receive
them and to answer them
I am American and belong
to the Baptist Church
I am sorry I haven't
a picture.
to send you today
I am going to have
some taken today
and will send you
one as soon I get
them send me one
of your pictures if you
have one I will

send you mine just as
soon as I get them.
I have a picture of my
one. My father is
dead. He died when I was
ten years old and my
mother is living she
is 73 years of age. I will
be 28 the 27 of next lik???
I am sorry for you I know you
are lonesome without your
mother she was your best
friend is she. So please send
me your picture and I will
send you mine as soon as
I get them so answer soon
from Mary Mattingly
Willisberg Ky.
excuse my bad writing
my pen is bad I will be better
                          next time

I guess each one is waiting for a picture from the other.
The one word on the second page I was not sure what it was. I tried to put what I thought it was in google translator, which was interesting. The language it detected could have been Norwegian. But I don't think it was suppose to mean corpse count. I could have guessed but it didn't feel right to me. Can you guess?
I'm not sure if a picture will ever show up in another letter or not. I guess we will just have to wait and find out.

Here are the next two viewer cards from the "Childhood Fun" set :

 A Stylish Turnout.
 Getting Ready for the Masquerade.

In the first picture , that must have been one big rooster to try and hook a wagon up to it and expect a ride.
I wonder what kind of masquerade she was planning on going to.

I'm always amazed at how bright the colors are in these pictures.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:

This is was taken during someones class trip. I thought because of what has been going on lately this might be a good thing to show.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will find yourself coming back again real soon for more fading history.
Till then, stay safe.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment