Friday, January 27, 2017

Harriet: Oct. 23, 1928 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was good. No drama. It just felt like it was the beginning of something amazing is starting to come my way. Time will tell I guess.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Harriet:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                  Chicago Ill
                Oct 22, 1928
Dearest Sweetheart:
Received your darling
letter a few days ago and
it made me so happy
to hear from you.
It is such horrid weather
here at present.
It has been raining
for the last week and
is still continuing so thats
that--
I'm working at the same
firm as before. They got
more supplies so every
thing is O.K. now-
They gave a dance
last Saturday night

              2
And oh boy did we have a
wonderful time and how! Didn't
get to bed until 4:30 Sun. morning
So slept all day Sunday had enough
sleep for a while.In the evening
I went to see ( Al Jolson) you
have heard of him haven't you. It
was all Dictaphone and was it
sad. Why everyone was sobbing
So don't think I could stand
to see that over again.
Well whats all the news
around that part of the
country.
I had a letter from Isabel
the other day. Do you ever
see her around there.
Freda called me the other
night. She sure surprised me.
Haven't
been out to see her
yet but will do so soon.
Gee it is so lonesome around
here to-night and it is such
miserable weather etc.
So honney wish you was
here to cheer me up.
How about it.
(whoopee)

Have you heard from Walter yet.
He hasn't called me for a long time
Guess he must of forgotten all of us
eh!__
well "sweetheart" news are rather
scarce.Of course there is plenty of Chicago
news but may not all be as interesting
so will omit it___
So honney I will sign off for the
evening with__
Heaps & heaps of (love and Kisses)
              Your only
             Sweetheart
             Harriet
Answer
at once
and I don't
mean maybe
either.
                  (SWMK)

I like the idea that the place she worked at put on a dance for it's employees. Now that's something that does not happen today that I know of.
It sounds like Walter was not interested in her since he has not got in touch with her again.
I wonder what she saw that Al Jolson did?
Al Jolson - publicity.JPG

He was a well known actor who did things for Vaudeville, pop standards, and jazz.
He did do some things in black face.
He was the star in the first talking movie. The Jazz Singer in 1927.
He helped to introduce African American music to white audiences.
As far back as 1911 he fought against the discrimination of black people on Broadway.
He died Oct.23, 1950. He was 64 years old.

Here is the next viewer card from "The Wedding" set:



I like that it is written in 6 different languages.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

The rain swollen Potomac river and wills creek rose to the second stories of many buildings in
Cumberland, Md., a city of 40,000 which was all but submerged by the flood. This is an aerial
view made Wednesday morning.

This is from 1936.
Global warming back then too.

And here is a random picture:

Not sure if this is the same person or where they were taken.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good weekend.
And don't forget to stop by again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment