Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Harriet: Sept. 11, 1926 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you stayed warm this weekend. I did. It was a nice drama free one for me. Other parts of the country are not lucky right now. We are suppose get maybe 6 inches of snow right now. Winter is just being winter.

Anyway, here is the next letter from Harriet:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

             Chicago Ill
             Sept. 10, 1928
Dearest Howard,
Received your dearest
letter and sure was glad
to hear from you.
How's the world treating
you anyway.
Hope it is treating you
as fine as it is me.
We have been having
some hot days again
this week. Hope
winter will soon be here
So we can all have ?????

Had a letter from Edna the
other day. Sure was surprised
She invited me over there
some day this week.
Walter called to-night So
I told him to answer your
letter (with speed)
He wants to make a date
for some night this week
but haven't decided whether
to go or not as I don't
like to cheat on you honey
How about it?______
Had a letter from Violet N.
the other day. There wasn't
any news, excepting about
Rosenburg the main attraction
around Ogema___
Oh ha ha! Am I tired to-night
am going to bed as soon as
I have finished this letter.
Was out riding last night
with a bunch of friends mostly
girls! And gosh have had more
the trouble so didn't get home

as early as affected as my girl friend
came up home Bloomington and left at
the 11 o'clock train. We had to wait
and see her on the train.
So you are fixing your house that a boy
for just us two, think so?
well deary I am getting to sleepy
to write any more. Please excuse
this bum writing will do better
next time.
With lots of "Love & kisses"
                     Your sweetie
                       Harriet
 Answer
immediately          (SWAK)


A few of the words were hard to figure out. I did the best I could. Maybe you can do a better job of it then I did.
I wonder if she was avoiding going out with Walter and was just using Grandpa as an excuse. I guess I'll never know.
He must have told her he was working on his house.

Well here is the first viewer card from a set I'm calling "The wedding" set:

(1) The proposal
copyright 1902 By H.C. White co.

It didn't scan very well. This set is very stiff and curved. This makes it hard to scan well.


Here is a random picture for you to look at:

Not sure who this is,(it could be Grandma ) but it looks like they were ready for the winter.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

Congressmen Break Rules to Aid Veteran

I wonder if something like that could even happen anymore today without strings attached.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I just hope they will have the road plowed before I have to go to work tomorrow.
Don't forget to come back again soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment