Friday, January 6, 2017

Helen Balusik: Sept. 8, 1928 Phillips, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope that the first week of 2017 has been good to you so far. Mine is good. Still have the feeling that this year will be more positive. I must believe.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Helen:



As always, for those that fine it hard to read, here is what it says:

                Phillips, Wis.
               Sept. 7-28
Dear Howard:-
       It seems I can never
get around to answer letters
any more. I bet you think
I am a good one.
I have been busy right along
these last few days Vera & I
helped pa with the clover again
and now we have to start in
with potatoes pretty soon. That's
a dandy job, isn't it.
Anna Novy came back from
Ogema she is enjoying herself
very much she says.
 Last night we went to
church- Heard a good sermon
does one good to go. It seems
I could go to church every day
if there was any place to go.
  Just think pretty soon is
fall again. I do hate to have
the good old summer go
by.
All the young folks are

leaving for the city in about
two weeks. Sure will be lone
some around here for a
while.
Yesterday my brother went to
the fair at Marshfield with
his boss in their Buick Sedan
he said he had a good time.
He always seems to be the pet
that's just like his luck.
We are all through threshing
about a week ago. I was
thinking too bad it isn't Howard
that works with this thresher
because you mentioned you
did that. How about it Howard?
I bet you wouldn't like to
come here (Ha Ha) Well I wouldn't
blame you in the least.
  Well, everybody going to
schools now days. I sure
would give anything to be
back at school once more
nothing like school days eh?
  It seems when you

           2
get through school the years
fly by so fast.
Pa is hauling wood now &
is calling for help so, Howard
I will have to make this
snappy after thinking I would
make it a nice long one for
once. If only had the time
I would write you a nice long
one, even tho you would
get tired of it. But even tho
my letters are short make
yours twice as long won't
you? Sometimes it is so
hard to write an interesting
one seeing we don't know
each other very well.
Well Howard, Be good &
don't work to hard.
     May God bless you always.
              Your friend
                    Helen

I wonder how long the letters were that Grandpa wrote. Unfortunately I will never know.
She mentioned that her brother went to the Marshfield fair. That fair is always held on Labor Day weekend. It sounds like to was about that time even back then. I wonder how long it took them to get there from Phillips.It takes a little over a half an hour to get there from Medford today. Phillips is about thirty miles north from here, I think.
She is right about that once your out of school time seams like it goes faster.
It's a nice polite kind of letter, don't you think?

Here are the last three viewer cards from the "Jamaica 1907" set:

 19. The fever camp, showing interior with sufferers.
 20. Types of natives and the improvised shelters.
21. The Myrtle Bank Hotel and the effect of the earthquake.

These are the last I have of this set. I think it is a complete set.
Looking at these pictures I wonder what people thought back then around here, when they saw these kinds of pictures.
Some times I wish this set was in color to make things pop more.

 I have one more set to share with you. It is another one based on a wedding.

Here is a random picture for you to look at:


I thought that since she mentioned school I would show you a picture of a graduation class. I'm not sure who's class this is so I can't tell you what year this is.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
If you live around here, stay warm. I plan on not spending to much time outside.I'll be hibernating.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment