Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Genevieve Ruby Smith:Sept. 28, 1929 Westboro, Wis.

Dear Friends,
i hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was good. We hiked about 7 miles on Saturday morning. We started at 8 am and got done at 11 am. By then it was starting to get hotter. Besides the husband wanted to get home and do some field work. It was a drama free time for me.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Genevieve;





 As always, for those that fine it hard to read, here is what it says:

                   Westboro, Wis.
                   Sept. 27, 1929
Dear friend,
 Just a few lines to
allow you know I'm
still among the liv-
ing altho feel very sick
Realy I don't know
whats the matter but
I sure do feel miserable
was very sick yesterday
& last nite I got up
& went up to Manson's
near ogema, maybe
you know him Bob
Manson, lives on 86.
today I sure feel
lots worse for
going in the rain

         (2
last nite. So don't
s'pose I'll go to Kubis
Sat. eve all tho I'll
try if I have to die.
It's pretty hard to
stay home on Sat.
eve, when your not
used to it, isn't it.
Who told you they
had the last dance
at Kubis Sat. eve.
Mr. Kubis said they were
going to have "em"
until snow flies
which wont be very
far off, will it honey?
My grandpa & mother
are coming up there
to dig potatoes pretty

        (3
soon then I'll have
to home alone, booh
hoo!!- Say kid don't
you tell them any
thing about me
will you?
Who told you I
was mad at Bert
& you I s'pose Mrs.
B. or Ray well they
might tell you most
anything, as Mrs. B.
told Peter Nimie of
Rib Lake, that I was
mad at him & so darn
much other stuff
so he quit writing
for no other reason
I couldn't imagine

      (4
"Why" he had not
wrote the past
week or so. Boys she
makes me mad
& I don't mean
maybe, she is so
afraid I'll go with
someone else once
she must be___
or else she would
not expect young
guys to go with
her a married
woman with 8 kids
Well honey I feel
sick as I told you
b/4 so excuse my
poor writing also
blots & blunders
and write me a

       (5
a letter to cheer
me up, as I'm
loney lonely & blue
I'm down hearted to etc.
Send some news
next week please.
You's till the
Indian an U.S,
capital goes for
a surn. So long
               as B/4
           "Genevieve"
Tear this
up I do all
your letters
    Please

In spots this letter, to me does make sense. I wonder if it was because she was not feeling well or if she just wrote nonsense on purpose.
Boy that Mrs. B. sounds like a very interesting woman. Or was she just making it sound that way because she didn't like this woman.
I guess I'll never see anything grandpa wrote to her if she got rid of all his letters to her. Oh well, just more faded history, never to be seen again.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

This 3-year-old bull, C R, is "broke to pull anything," according to his owner, Earl W. Stowell of
Yuba, Wis. Stowell's son, Bob, shown driving the bull. He and his father insist that
their unusual critter can pull "as much as any horse and more than a good many teams."

I wonder how long this bull did this kind of work? Now that's a lot of bull.

Here are a few pages from the joke book "Bedtime Laughs":



Enjoy.

Finally, here is a random picture:

Not sure who this is. It was developed June 1964.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope your week will be a good one.
Don't forget when you get time to drop by again for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment