Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Genevieve Smith: Oct. 24, 1929 Lugerville, Wis.

Dear Friends,
One hope everyone had a good weekend. And if you live in the US. the eclipse. I took the day off so I could see what ever I could from my back yard. I'm glad I bought a pair of solar glasses. It was not total here but with the glasses I could watch it happen without hurting my eyes. I hope a lot of you were able to do the same thing. It will be a long time before we get to see another one again like that. I'll have to save the glasses as a part of my history to show another generation what we used.
Anyway, here is a letter from Genevieve:






As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                Lugerville Wis.
          Blue Monday
Dearest Howard & Tom__
Your ever so welcome
letter arrived Saturday
noon. Just before I left
for home. Was in Westboro
over the week end but
am very sorry I never
saw you? Wasn't Thomas
to Berts Sunday afternoon?
I'm quit sure I saw his
car there. When I went
back to Lugerville. Boy oh
boy you sure should have
been with us Saturday
evening. Went to a dance
at Chelsea. I went with
Robert McCumber.- He
was so blame drunk
before morning he didn't
know sickem from cathum

      .2.
ats a fact. We sure had
a hell of a time. Also
went up to Bert's Sat. eve.
and it took six guys
to give us one gallon of
gas. Ain't that going some?!
Went over to Rib lake
also Sat. eve, then was
going up to your place
but thought maybe you
would be gone some place
a guy named John
Bile bought me down
from Lugerville to Westboro
he lives at Prentice
had to walk thu
the woods about five
or six miles with him
alone. You are lame
wouldn't even come
up here. your the berries

        .3.
I'll say. rec'd two letters
from Walter last week
He sure can write quicker
then I can. Of course
you understand it's
real hard for me to
mail letters from out
here- gosh every body
wanted me to stay in
Westboro when I got
there, but had to go
back here for a while
short i hope! ha! ha!
gee it sure seemed
funny when I returned
here Sunday evening was
just beginning to get
used to being in town
again. Dan came to the
track to meet me so
I didn't have to walk
alone, but gosh he

        .4.
Is awfull, worse then
"Pete" Nimie. Bob McC.
ar lovin U. I cannot
write it now__ha! ha!
i din't go to bed at all
Saturday eve. Was up
early Sunday Morning
My bro. & Mother went
to Jump River & I was
home alone! Maybe
I didn't have fun. Had
a couple bottles of
beer. cigarettes etc, music
then "Bob" Stopped had
3 extra for dinner, went
down town & a guy
won't say "who" gave
me this damn fountain
pen so I could write
to him I realy I think
he lost in the barg-
ain. as its terrible believe
I'll burn it up.- gee

     .5.
I don't know what I'll write
News this week - My
bro & Ma together all
complained by about 7 others
wrote last week & Helen
S. the week b/4.
So Thomas said He's
lonesome sense I quit
picking potatoes. Well
I'm awfull glad But
I think he just ran
out of Vocabulary for
a few minn. as his so
darn bash full. He
turned his head the
other way because
he was afraid I
"might "say "Hello" ha!
Maybe I'd better sign
my mail for today have
seven more letters to
write to nite & believe
me I'll burn this pen up
                 over please

b/4 I write 7 more words
Write when ever you can
                  as ever
                  "Pete"
PS
The dog scratches for flees
The rooster scratches for his
                              mate
You get busy and scratch
              a line to me

Write soon
please
honey
dear
I only
drink here
                   Genevieve Ruby Smith
                  % Camp Franklin
                   Lugerville Wis
   Lots of Love_________etc

Ain't She cute
With a pimple
on her snout
Moon
fully of beer


I don't know about you, but I like her art work.
She really sounds like she was a very active girl. She got around to a lot of different places in a very short time.
It sounds like a number of people were enjoying different drinks that if I'm not mistaken, were not suppose to be enjoyed at that time.
But she was right about Thomas being shy. He never married.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

 First Dr. Gordon E. Mordoff of Wilmette, Ill., was arrested for
kidnaping Reginald, 3, then he obtained the boy from Mar-
garet Mann, who says she is the boy's mother, on a writ of at-
tachment. Now the infant has been ordered into where a
judge will play the part of Solomon in deciding its parentage._
A.P. Photo.

I wonder how long this battle over this little boy went on. To bad they didn't have DNA testing back then. Or at least I don't think they had it back then.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs":



For all that are in love or thinking about it. Enjoy.

Finally here is a random picture:

I think this was taken out at the beaver pond. No idea what year.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope your week is a good one.
Don'y forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment