Tuesday, August 15, 2017

G.Smith: Dan Franklin Camp Lugerville, Wis

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was good. The weather was not bad. Sunday the husband and I hiked 11.5 miles. We should be able to get Taylor county done in two more hikes. Then we will be stopping for the year. I hope to start again next spring by Cornell. I hope.
Anyway, this next letter I'm sure who it is from . It might be someone called G. Smith. I'm not sure if it is the right time or not because once again Uncle Peter took the stamp so the date is not there. This letter was addressed to Grandpa and Thomas:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, I hope to copy it to the best of my interpretation of what is written:

adres. G__Smith             Lugerville, Wis
%Dan Franklin Camp      Sunday Evening
Lugerville Wis.
Hi low Boys!
How has the world been
treating you since I have
been gone! I hope fair, thought
you had died by now, haven't
heard or seen any thing of you
or Tom, since I quit picking
up potatoes, guess I'll have
to come & pick some more
how about it?!
Say, why in hell don't
Tom or U come up here to
work at camp! If yous come
I'll surely stay ha! ha!
Boy but this is a loan
same being, guess I'd better not
say that or you'll never come
here, Realy its O.K. But__
of course with me its diff-
erent, you know I was
used to the "higher life", going
to dances every Sat night

             2
was my delight. Them during
the week we always went
to Bert's, or else to Rib Lake
then we have the radio &
Phonograph & "your" at home
but out here, we haven't any
of that so you see, I'm in
quite a different environment
what I am used to. The boys
are all strange to me here
thus far haven't any road
to the camp & no trains
come here yet see!😤 =
Today me ( Mrs., Dan & I were
out exploring and found ?!
????!! _____! Grittens
Camp, stopped in etc then
we met a nice guy at Grittens
he walked down to Grittens
former camp with us came
back had lunch at their
camp & this guy & another

               3
guy took us a way on the
hand car, from there we
had to walk thou the
woods back.
Rec'd a letter from Walter
Wednesday the day after I
came here, Sure was glad
to hear from him, he sure
has a fine hand to write, hasn't
he, told of the city in general
& even said, if I came there
to call him up at his
home or else at the office
gave me both of his phone
no. Nice of him wasn't it!
Have you see R Or Mrs. B__
lately I haven't seen last
Monday evening haven't
even had a letter from
them.
Have you seen Pete lately
poor kid wanted me to

         4
come over to Rib Lake to see
him the night b/4 I left
but I had 4 other dates &
broke em' all. They say I'm
the champion date breaker
gosh at that I had ought to
have my name in the Milw-
aukee Journal ha! ha!- oh
yes how do you like our new
correspond for the weekly
scandal?
I s'pose your tired of my
line ( groan) of b-s- by
now to So- So, So, long
until next July C.U, all
this coming fall in camp
Franklin, How about it
boys! Tell Tom I love him as much as I never did
                as Usual
                 Pete
PS
Have my bass
shirt Petes cap
& my overalls so
am a regular
tom J boy ha! ha!
                took pictures
                today funny
                   to

Once I turned the envelope over I realized it was from Genevieve. She must have been working at one of the logging camps. This woman must have been a very interesting person to know.
I did my best to rewrite it but some of the words were a little more challenging then others.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:


This year old gray fox, said by Humane society officials to have been driven from the north woods
by lack of food, was cornered by police in a garage at 2478 N. Grant blvd. late Monday and will be
turned over to the zoo. Mrs. W. T. Lunch, 2568 N. Grant blvd., saw the animal on her front porch and
called police._ Journal Staff Photo.

I'm a little surprised the zoo took it. But it was a different time back then.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs":



They will put a smile on your face, so enjoy!

Finally, here is a random picture:

I thought since she was working at a logging camp, I would show you a logging picture.

Well that's about all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment