Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Gladys: Dec. 23, 1929 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good holiday weekend.
The husband and I were able to finish hiking the Ice Age trail through Taylor County. I have to total the number of miles yet. But remember we did an out and back. This means we did it twice. Would you ever do something like that?
Anyway, here is the next letter from Gladys:



As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

             Chicago Ill
              Dec 23.29
Dear Howard:-
Your letter reached me
yesterday and also the
picture of Lake Fraut, Waupaca
I think it very thoughtful
of you to send that to me.
Well are you going to
believe what I have been
trying to tell you about
destroying letters at once.
I should think your
latest experience which
you wrote me about
would have fully con-

vinced you that that is the
thing to do and I hope from
now on you will do it.-(burn
them)
I hope you will find cour-
age to write once in awhile anyway.
Every body is rushing like mad
here getting ready for Christmas. It
will not be a very joyous one
here after having had 2 deaths
in the house so very recent.
As I guess the folks at home
have told you about it.
It is a great blow to me in a
way because we were all going
to California for the winter &
this changed all plans of course.
And I should have loved it so.
Linnea is spending Xmas
at our aunts (Halts) Yesterday
she had dinner as Deckers
(Amanda Halt) Tomorrow evening.
I will go down there for awhile
How I should like to go to
church in the early Xmas

morning but I cannot get away
for that.
It sort of gave me a thrill
when you wrote about having
been to the Fin school. Gee those
were the days of fun dancing.
High-hoop-son-sa with the Fin
boys. To make the Swed boys
Jelley. Na.! Well Howard I
have to close these few lines
now as it is luncheon time
I shall give your message to
Edna & Linnea. I hope Tom & you
will have a joyful New year
As ever Gladys
For goodness sake burn
this now & avert a scandal
Ha Ha & write again.

The last bit was actually along the side of the first page.
I wonder what kind of scandal she is talking about.
I do wonder if Grandpa didn't save some letters for reasons like she mentioned or maybe he was not in the mood to save them all at that time.
I'll try to look up the lake she mentioned.
There are a lot of lake in Waupaca. But I could not find that name of a lake. That is if it was spelled right to begin with.
I wonder who died in her household and what they died of.
I do hope they all had a nice Xmas that year.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:


Fred Davis (left) made all the photographs of the Dionne Quintuplets you've seen (except, of course, this one). He's shown here with Dr. DaFoe during one of Davis' many visits to the nursery clad in the sterilized robe which is approved costume for calling on quintuplets. Davis has had a better opportunity than anyone except the doctor and nurses to observe the famous babies, shown in this picture, as they looked more than a year ago at their first Christmas celebration.    (Copyright, 1936 N.E.A., Inc)

If you don't know who these babies are, they were one of the first identical quintuplets to survive at that time. There are a number of pictures of them in the scrap book.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs":




 Enjoy reading all the signs.

Finally here is a random picture:

No idea who this is or when it was taken.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good week.
Don't forget to drop by for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment