Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Helen Balusik: Dec.31, 1929 Phillips, Wis.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was nice and sunny, finally. I do wish it would have been better last weekend when I was on vacation. Oh well, mother nature will do what mother nature does.
Anyway, the next letter from Helen Balusik, is post mark Dec 31, 1929 but on the letter she wrote New Years Day. Don't know why the post mark is different then the date on the letter. Anyway, here it is:






As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                      Phillips, Wis.
                     New Years Day
Dear Howard:-
      Happy New Year
to you. Hope we all feel
as happy as we should.
I feel sleepy today- didn't
get home very early
because the bunch from
Church all gathered and
waited for New Year
last nite- also had a
big lunch at mid night.
We passed time away
by singing and read
the bible, I sure enjoyed it.
Was about the same
what I did last New Years.
I suppose you were
out just as late if

not later- how about it?
Well, I didn't make any
resolutions, I don't
think it pays- but I'll
try and make this the
best year if I can. One
thing see how long I can
be without raising
my temper (Ha Ha)
I sure enjoyed my Xmas
alright.
   Christmas eve went
to bed at about three o'clock
then slept in the after noon
and Xmas night went
to a party near by, but
the boys were all mostly
drunk so it spoiled the
whole thing- The crowd
left early that night.
My pen seems to
be so poor I wonder
why, maybe has the
"flu" like most of the

          2
people have around here.
Pa is quite sick his
face is all swelled for
some reason he seems
to think its from a root
of a tooth but I hope
he gets better soon-
Makes me feel kind of
worried.
My brother has to work
today, oh well- we
all do, don't we? He
isn't the only one.
But I'm through for
the after noon so I'm
supposed to visit a friend
while she is out here
for her vacation- Then
tomorrow I'm suppose
to visit school with

Gladys, don't you want
to come along with us (Ha Ha)
I guess you wouldn't
care for such company
would you Howard?
I sure went to plenty of
Xmas programs. To
some a bunch of us
walked about four,
five miles but good
thing it wasn't cold
as how, or I'd never go.
It has been fine
skating all this while
until now I know it
must be all covered
with snow unless the
river should be alright.
Wish you could have
seen the Xmas tree
we have, but tomorrow
I intend on throwing
it out because the
holidays are all gone by

           3.
now- Wonder what
we all will be doing
next year at this time,
don't you? It sure is
one grand thing none of
us know what the
New Year has in store
for each one of us. There
sure would be a lot of
suicides, wouldn't there?
It seems rather a
lonesome Day, today
hope I have some
company tonite other
wise it sure will be a
blue day-
Well Howard, I must be
going along if I want
to go anywhere or
else I'll never make it

by five o'clock there & back.
If it wasn't so far I'd
stop in to see you on
the way (Ha Ha) wouldn't
Howard be surprised
I bet he would alright?
Well, now I'm hoping
you have a very
Happy and prosperous
New Year.
Take good care of yourself
  and write again.
        Lovingly
            Helen

It was the end of the year or maybe the beginning of 1930. Maybe it was right on the boarder.
I wonder if someone forgot to change the post mark date and that is why it was wrong. So this could be the first of 1930. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
This is the end of 1929, I wonder if she knew of anyone who did commit suicide because of the stock market crash.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:


Another picture  and story about the Dionne Quintuplets.

Here are a few page from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs":



Ah marriage, enjoy the lighter side of it.

And finally, a random picture:

Written on the back:
"Coupling up pulp loads"
No idea when this was taken or who could be driving.

Well, that's all I have for you today.
I hope you enjoyed this post.
Don't forget to come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment