Friday, September 29, 2017

Ed: March 18, 1930 Chicago, Ill.

Dear friends,
Well it's the end of yet another week. How was your week? Mine was very quiet. Just the way I like it. I'm looking forward to a nice weekend. I just hope Mother Nature will be nice.
Anyway, here is a letter from Ed. I think he has been mentioned by someone at one point.But Here is his own letter:


As always, for those that have a hard time reading it, here is what it says:

                        Chicago, Ill
                        Tuesday
Dear Friend Howard
  well here goes letter no. 2
since my opperation. I am in
bed yet but am feeling fine can't get
enough to eat. They starved me
4 days after the operation. I didn't
get more then a little water and
now I just get a little broth and
some milk no solid food at all
I can tell you it's no fun. I have
been waiting everyday thinking I
would get a piece of toast or a boiled
egg. But I haven't got it yet. I wish
you would send me one in a letter
or some way. You don't understand
until you find out for yourself

I got an old Swedish fellow
in the same room as I am
in, his name is Peterson he's 71
years old. I have to laugh when I
hear him talk and when he gets
sore at some of the nurses
there is a lot of good looking
nurses here they sure are good
to a fellow to.
Just think my appendix
was all rotten it poisoned
my hole system that's all that
was wrong with me but that
was sure bad. Gladys says it
is your turn to write to her
and they all told me to greet
you and greet Tom from me
I hope to be home again in 3 or
4 weeks more.
   Your friend as ever
              Ed.

I think this is the first letter from him. But I know he has been mentioned and I may have shown a picture of him.
Can you imagine staying in the hospital as long as he says he was. Not today. Your in and out as soon as possible. But at least he had good looking nurses to look at.
I wonder what his room mate was in there for.
I do wonder how long he had a problem with his appendix before it was taken out.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:

This power saw has attracted the notice of both Milwaukee city and county, whose officials have
asked to borrow it. Its owner, the town of Milwaukee, says, however, that the town's workmen
will have to do their own cutting first. The saw is shown cutting a channel to carry off expected flood
waters on the Milwaukee river near Silver Spring road.- Journal Staff Photo

I wonder how much this saw was used that year.

Here are a few pages form the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs":



For all you animal lovers. a few jokes to make you smile.

Now a random picture:

Bruce Rinehart. class of 1956

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will come back soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment