Friday, September 1, 2017

Olga: Dec. 21, 1929 Milwaukee, Wis.

Dear Friends,
Well the holiday weekend is here. I hope it will be a good one. I'm hoping for little to no rain. We have had enough for awhile. I know Texas has more of a right to say that then I do. We all deserve a break from the rain.
Anyway, here is a letter from I think someone named Olga. This letter is very light. I did my best to try and get it so it could be read. So here it is:




As always, for those that find it hard to read, this is what I think it says:

               Milwaukee, Wis
                Dec 19, 1929
Hello Howard:
          Sure was surprised
to hear from you. Whatever made
you think of me at present. Of
course Frans wrote to me and
said somebody wanted my address
but I couldn't think who it could
be. Well I imagined it will
take a long time before this letter
reaches you, maybe you won't
have so good train service thru
the snowbanks. We never had
any snow until yesterday and
today and we sure have plenty
here for the city of Milwaukee. it
is still drifting snow & cold.
I don't mind it because that's

the weather. I've been used to
up north and it doesn't seem
like Xmas if we hadn't any
snow.
It's so terrible grey and dreary
looking outside it makes me so
lonesome I could cry.
I'm writing this letter in the
afternoon as I have every afternoon
off from 1 till 6 pm. I work
from 8:30 am to 1 pm from 6 to 9:30 pm
I really don't get a chance to go
even to show in the afternoons
as Rudy & I have been light housekeeping
& I usually come right straight
home and listen to the radio
& then go back to work again
& home. Same routine every
day, at times it gets too

monotonous. Rudy is out of a job
so he is going home Sat. but
if you see Frans, don't tell him
as Rudy wants to surprise him.
I am going to room alone at the
same address, then I'll be all
alone just me and my radio like
the old song goes "Ain't Misbehav'n"
I am feeling fine, how does
the weather treat you.
read a letter from the kid
brother today as I must answer
it and also send him his Xmas
present. gee I haven't been inside
of a store in the city for over
a week, that's going some. It's
something awful the way stores
are crowded just before Xmas
especially the 5 & 10. You don't
have to walk, you get shoved

around from place to place.
Well it's almost time for me
to go to work again as I'll have
to make this rather short.
Excuse the pencil writing as it
goes faster than in ink
If you don't answer before
Xmas, here's wishing you a
Merry Xmas.
               Your friend
                 Olga

I think I copied it right. The pencil was so light it was hard to read it.
She sounds like she knew Grandpa or at least of him before.
It sounds like she was a very busy girl. I think she must have been cleaning houses.
Not sure how many letters there are from her.
I will say the number of letters are not very many any more. So I am finally getting closer to the end.

Well, here is a picture from the scrap book:

 The little fellow on the left, called "Sonny Boy" by Dr. Gordon Mordoff of Wilmette, Ill., and
"Reginald Arthur" by Margaret Mann, 24, was the center of court action in Chicago Thursday.
Dr. Mordoff and Miss Mann each claim parentage. The boy is shown in court with Mordoff
children, Mary and Gordon Jr.

I wonder how long the battle for this little boy played out in public. To bad they didn't have DNA testing back then. Or at least I don't think they did.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs":



Some good like giggles for the weekend. Enjoy.

Finally, a random picture:

No idea what year this was taken. It looks like they were bringing in a load of firewood.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
Have a good weekend.
I hope you come back real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment