Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Ann Choka: July 20, 1932 Gary Ind.

Dear Friends,
I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was quiet. Didn't do to much. The weather is starting to warm up, for now. Give it time and we will be in the deep freeze again.
Here is a letter from Ann Choka. I think she did write before but didn't sign her last name till now. There is a second writer on this letter. Estelle Oros:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                              July 20, 1932
                               1773 Polk St.
                                Gary, Indiana
Dear Howard,
             I thought I'd drop you a few
lines, I felt kinda funny to write cause maybe,
you won't answer me, but Helen said you would
write to me, so hear I am. Well How are you? Any-
way, here I am back at Gary working, in a Bakery.
Gee but it's hot here in summer, are you working?
you know I've been thinking about going out there,
but I can't go by train, if I had some one, from
there, that has a car that I could trust I would go
out there and get a job helping out in the country.
do you know of any place where I stay, my cousin
a girl and my sister are wanting to come along I
want you to meet them i told them about what
nice people I've met in Wis. and they are
wanting to come so bad so do I. well Howard
I guess I'll close I hope you write more to me,
you know I can't write much the first time,
are you working anyway, tell Helen & all
I send them my regards, you'll have to
excuse my writing, I'm writing at the Bakery
and I'm kind a busy so if I make any
mistakes excuse me for them. Please write
to me soon, I wish I could go to a dance
out there soon yo do you all have a lot
of fun out there? when I was there I
couldn't go out much because my aunt

was kinda funny she wanted me to stay home
always, I couldn't get along with her so if I
ever go out there I wish I could look the
place over go the dances parties and every
where, now I'll close answer soon
                               Your true Friend
                                  Ann.
P.S. If you know some one that could
or has a car to take us there. I'll try the
get some one here
                         Miss Ann Choka
                                  1773 Polk St.
                                      Gary, Indiana

Dear Stranger
I thought I would write to you and
make friends I am Ann's Cousin. Ann was
tell me about the plase. I shore would
like to be out there Can you get someone
to come out here for my cousin Ann and
I. Please. If you care to write
to me my add. is              A Stranger
              1135 Harrison Blvd. Estelle Oros
                     Gary Ind.

I don't think I have already shown you  another letter for her.
Reading this letter she sounds like she is looking for a change in her life.
As for the picture, I'm not sure if it is Ann or Estelle. Who do you think it is?
I did correct some of the words but not all.

Here is a picture from the scrap book: 1936

The gallant man is having his
inning these days in the flood
stricken cities of the east and
here's one carrying a woman along
a flooded sidewalk in Hartford,
Conn.           (Wide World Photo)

March 24, 1936

I take it they were having some trouble with flooding back then.

Here a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:



Enjoy.

Finally, a random picture:

Love Enid. Class of 1959.

Not sure who's classmate she was.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment