Friday, January 5, 2018

Gladys: July 18, 1932 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good week. Mine was very quiet. I am doing something a little different right now at night. I'm involved with the local community theater. I'm stage manager. We are doing "Escanaba in Da Moonlight". It is one of those plays that will bring some people out that usually don't show up for something like that. If you want to know what it is about, I will tell you it happens in a hunting cabin in the Upper UP.
I'll tell you more some other time.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Gladys:







 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what is says:

     11:00 p.m. Chicago Ill
                        July 17-32
Dear Howard:-
    This is Sunday night&
I have just got my report in
for 11:00. We change Supervisor
at 11:00 & again at 7:00 a.m. &
then at 2:00 p.m.. They work
only 8 hrs. & we poor devils
have to work the 12 hr.
Today has been a long day
It was such a beautiful
morning so I was tempted
to take a bus ride instead
Got up & had dinner with
Mrs. Augur (Miss Averys

sister who lives at the apt.)
at 1:30 & then went back
to bed again & read until
3:30 where your friend May
Hopkins came to see me.
She leaves on her vacation
tomorrow & wanted a
couple of my books to take
along to read. She is a dear &
we did have such a nice
P.m.- She had supper
with me. alone as Mrs.
Augur was dining with
friends at the Ambassador
tonight.

You asked me how old
Miss Avery is. She is
82 years old & Mrs. Augur
(Her sister) is 72. So I live
with two nice old ladies.
Thanks Howard for saying
it whether you mean it is
not that it pays to have a
good rep. It seems as
though people have tried
to fix a harried rep. on me
up there. but I don't care
as its ignorance that causes
them to do it. if I should
ask them to prove it I
guess they'd be another story

So what those old
gossipers say don't
bother me as people here
know better & know
what I am. So thanks
to you again if you really
mean it.
Sorry to hear it's raining
on your hay. I have not
heard from home for a wk
I hope Dad is better.
Edna left yesterday

for the Ozarks- She hated
to go not knowing how
Dad was but i hope all
will be well until she
gets back. They were to
be in Springfield last night
& in St. Louis Mo. tonight & to-
morrow they go out to the
Ozarks. I am so glad she
could go as it is the first real
vacation she has ever had
as she usually went home
& worked. And this was
such a grand invitation
Elsa having her own car
& everything. Next week
when they come back they

will go up to long lake near
Chicago to stay with Elsa's
folks. They have a cottage
there. The steady grind
of office work makes a
change like that very app-
reciateable you may be sure
maybe you've seen Irene by
now as she had a chance
to go to Ogema on her
way to visit friends from
our church here. Who
have a home in Cataba.
Well guess I have no
more news. Have to go

to the dentist in the morning
again Oh! how I like that.
here's hoping you get
your hay in O.K. &
if you see my family
tell them to write me
   Best wishes
       Gladys.

Just a lot of little chit cat. I think she must have worked at a hospital. Even back then workers were being made to work long hours while the bosses worked less.
 I few things sounded a little confusing I'm not I copied it right.
It sounds like Edna finally got some real R &R.
I wonder what kind of work she had to have done at the dentist.

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:

The St. Neots quadruplets, born a few months ago, are shown outside their home in Hunting-
don, England, when they had their first outing in a special double header carriage. They're
pictured with their mother and 2-year-old brother, Gordon.

Well at least it's not the Dionne's. Someone was interested in multiple births.

Here are few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs". 1956:



Enjoy.

Finally here is a random picture:

I thought that since she mentioned haying, I would show you another picture dealing with on old way harvesting oats and straw.

Well that's all I have to share with you today.
Have a good weekend.
Don't forget drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment