Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Gladys: Oct. 11, 1932 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
Well, survived another weekend. My cold is about gone. With the occasional cough because of a tickle in my throat. The weather is being it's usual up and down temps. But that's January in Wisconsin.
Anyway here is the next letter from Gladys:










  As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                   Chicago Ill
                  Oct 10-32
Dear Howard:-
    Have just read your
letter and as I have a few
minutes now. I shall write
a few lines, but do excuse
my stationary as the night
nurse is asleep so I can't get
in my room for paper.
This is quite a difference
after the fancy letter paper

you had this time. Gee
it looks swell and I am
sure it will be a good
club, if you fellows make
up your minds to make
it so. I thought Edward
was one of the directors
I was quite surprised
to see him listed as
the vice pres. Have you
had another election?

We have a horrid rainy day here
today, for a change as we
have had such delightful foul
weather so far.
Last Thursday Aunt Hildegard
Halt and I went to call on
Selma Walin & Hilding. They are
all well. Then in the evening
Linnea & I went to church
with my Aunt & children
(Holt) a missionary was the
speaker for the evening

and you can bet it was
interesting. You see I had
24 hrs. off on acct. of shifting
Miss Gustafson is on nights
now & I am on days for 2
weeks & then we shift again
This is my first day duty service
we took our patient to the
hosp. 8 months ago.
We moved her home the
day after I got back from
my vacation. I seems nice

to be home here again
with her and she is
improving so much
as she walked 200 steps
between 2 people yesterday
when we had her in
the rank in her wheeled
chair.
I am glad you enjoyed
the movie but as

for thanking me for a
treat you need next
because I should thank
you for driving. I hope
Edie & Roy were along. I
have never heard if they
were or not.
Be sure & send me
those clippings when

Well there is no news
here only work, work.
& I am thankful
I can tell you.
Oh! yes Sat. evening
I went over to see
Mary & she wouldn't give
me your picture back
so look out.

ever it comes off. What
are they waiting for
anyway?
send me a slice of
your banquet will
ya! "Ha Ha" I hope
you want to eat
rabbit.

You may have a girl
first thing you know
She is very nice and I will
show you her picture
when I am home
some time She is
coming up to visit me
in Ogema soon.

Well no more news
Greetings to Thomas
        as ever
         Gladys

I know it looks long but it is written on index size paper.
I wonder if the club she is talking about it the "Sunnyside Gun & Rod Club" that was mentioned in another letter.  I wonder who the president was at that time.
How long did she work for the same person?
I wonder why the woman had to have help walking again.
I wonder who Mary is that she mentioned.
I wonder what kind of clippings he sent her.
Enough questions that will never be answered.

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:
(scanned in to pieces)


Erosion is Blamed for the floods and dust damage pictured in last Sunday's Roto-Art
Section. By judicious planting the soil conservation service is trying to put obstacles in the way
of the rushing winds and waters. The scene above shows eroded land near Wheatfields, N.M.,
where topsoil two feet thick has been washed away.

A picture that was part of the dust bowl of the 1930's.

Now pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs" 1956:



Enjoy.

Finally, a random picture:

This is one of those two pictures in one. It looks like the kids are posing with an old stock tank in one. And someone else standing by a shed. No idea what year this was.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope all have a good week. If you find yourself in Medford on Feb. 1, 2,& 3, come see our little show of "Escanaba in Da Moonlight".
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment