Friday, January 12, 2018

Ann Choka: Sept. 9, 1932 Gary Ind.

Dear Friends,
Well, it's the end of another week. And it's been snowing and turning colder, again. The rest of my week was nice and quiet, just the way I like it.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Ann:


As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                         Sept. 9,
                            1932
Dear Howard;
            I received your most wel-
comed letter and was glad to hear from
you, how are you? Gee its been a long time
since you have written to me, and I haven't
answered you, you'll have to forgive me, I'm
so busy working 10 hr. a day six days a week
guess you'll believe me won't you? how are
you enjoying yourself out in Ogema going
to places such as parties or dances or
any place where you could have fun,
you know ever since I left Wisconsin i
always dream of being there, and when I
a wake I find myself here isn't that
awful.? I wish I could met some real
people, some day. Howard the only
I've met real people is in Wisconsin
here the boys & girls are all together
different their mostly wild which I hate.
So I wish I could go back to Wisconsin
soon and get a job anywhere so

I could make a living, now you see I
was planning to go out there but my Dad's
layed off of work 2 weeks now I'm only
working in the family but it will change
some day, now I'll close answer
                              soon.
                          Your true friend
                               Ann.
                         1773 Polk St.
                             Gary Ind.
P.S. Please write me a lot of news.
             Excuse my writing

It sounds like she really wants to get back to Wisconsin where there are real people.
So I guess that makes me a real person.
I wonder how long her Dad was layed off?
And how long she supported her family?

Here is a picture from the scrap book. 1936:

Nelson Campbell, who was swept from a bridge at Mechanicille, N.Y., by flood waters, gets
a helping hand from undershirted Allen Van Decar, a school bus driver. But Van Decar tum-
bled into the raging waters himself. They were rescued by men who heard their shouts.- A.P. Wire-
photo.

It kind of reminds me of what California is dealing with right now.

Here are few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime laughs". 1956:



Enjoy.

Finally a random picture:


A postcard from Ogema. No idea what year this is from.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you have a good weekend and if you are in Wisconsin, stay warm.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for some more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment