Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Edna: Sept. 13, 1932 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you had a good weekend. Mine was quiet. It could have been warmer but at least we are not experiencing the problems they are have out east and west. It did snow, but not a lot.

Anyway, here is the next letter from Edna:


 As always, for those that find it hard to read, here is what it says:

                              September 13-32
Dear Howard-
Say, how about that letter you
promised to write me!
I was very much disappointed
in not seeing you when I was
home. You were the only person I
called on too-- and then you
were out "nutting". Thomas told
me you were out picking nutz.
What wouldn't I do for some of
those nuts we used to gather
up there when I was a kid.
My mouth waters for some.
But I certainly was disappointed,
because I always see you
when I come home. I had a
couple of nice girls with me
too. One can never tell what
might have developed from
this meeting-- maybe you would
be opening up your house in
the spring. You know I've heard
of those happenings.

               -2-
I have been working awfully hard
since my vacation. In fact, I still
am- sometimes as late as 10 o'clock.
Of course I get paid extra for it,
which isn't so bad.
I haven't been to a show for
such a long time-- not since
before my vacation. Elsa ( the girl
I had home with me) and I are
going tomorrow night. Haven't de-
cided what show yet.
Well, Howard, I just wanted to
tell you I'm still looking for that
letter you said you were writing me.
Also, how sorry I am not to have
seen you.
                   Sincerely,
                      Edna
P.S.- Suppose you have seen Gladys
by this time. I'm writing her today
 
I have moved recently to 1325 Ardmore Ave.

She also included a little poem that was clipped to the first page . "Clara bell Cow". It's a cute little poem.
I also like the little picture with a chick and a fake duck.
I wonder if it was her way of getting his attention to write to her again.
As the nuts he was picking, I'm thinking it was hickory nuts. But I could be wrong.
She still sounds like she is a very busy girl at work.
I wonder what show she was able to see.

Here is a picture from the scrap book:1936

This gap was left construction rail line at the Mississippi river nine-foot channel dam at Genoa, 13 miles south of La Crosse, after an ice jam swept out 370 feet of a timber trestle bridge. engineers said destruction of the bridge will delay pouring of concrete on the project for about month.

This is a picture that could be like what is going on out East today.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs". 1956 :



Enjoy.

Finally, here is a random picture:

One of the many cows they had. I think this one is either a bull or a steer.

Well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope you will drop by soon for more for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment