Friday, January 26, 2018

Gladys: Sept. 26, 1932 Chicago, Ill.

Dear Friends,
I hope you have a good week. Mine could have been better. I've got a cold. Not real bad. Just as long as it's gone by next week. Thursday, Friday and Saturday to more be more accurate. Why you ask? Those are the days we have are presenting our next play to the public. "Escanaba in Da Moonlight". If you're a hunter, it's a must see show.
Anyway, here is the next letter from Gladys:



As always, I'll do my best to rewrite it the best I can for those that find it hard to read:

                  Chicago Ill
                   Sept 25-32
Dear Howard:-
Well here I am at last. I
spent 3 days as Aunt Hildigards &
then went on duty Wed night &
Thur. Now we moved our
patient home in an ambulance.
She sure is delighted to be at
home again after 8 months in
the hospital.
First I must tell you that the
first thing I saw when I came in

the house here was your
letter on the lowboy in the
hall & next was the lovely
box of candy. Thank you Howard,
but why did you do that?
Dad wrote me that they
enjoyed the picture very much
& I hope you did. I loved it
Say in a few days go over
& see the picture we took
While I was on vacation.
Well Mr. president I hear you
have again had a meeting
of the Sunnyside Rod & Gun club.
I do hope every one will
 do this bit as I think
its time something was
done like that.
Be sure & send me
those clippings you
promised to send me
as a girl here is very
interested as she was
out with him this
summer & never heard
about this trouble.
She met him as a
dance I guess.
Has Hattie or Freda come
home yet?
A vacation is nice
but its great to be back at

work though.
In 2 weeks Miss Gustafson
will change with me & go on
night duty & I on days. & so on
every 2 weeks we shift. It will
be so much nicer. Thou
working every night
Well so long. Write
me all the news &
give my best wishes to
Thomas.
    as ever
             Gladys
The candy was "delicious"
I'll send the pictures home in a day or so.

I wonder if she is only working for the one patient or if she is working at a hospital. I kind of think she is working for one person at a time. I wonder how long she did this kind of work.
I wonder what kind of thing they were doing for the Sunnyside Gun & Rod Club. How big of role did Grandpa play in this club?
I wonder what kind of pictures she is talking about.
What kind of candy did he send her?

Here is a picture from the scrap book no. 2: 1936

Rock at Camp Douglas, Wis. These massive natural formations- always interesting photographic
material, are the most characteristic features of the Wisconsin national guard training camp.

This is just one of many rock formations that you will find down by Juneau County. Plus there are other places in Wisconsin you will see these kinds of rock formations.

Here are a few pages from the joke book, "Bedtime Laughs". 1956:




A little bit of something for everybody. Enjoy.

Finally, here is a random picture:

Here is a picture of a picture. The date said it was taken Jul '68.
No clue why they took it or where this picture is now.

Oh well, that's all I have to share with you today.
I hope everyone has a good weekend.
Don't forget to drop by again real soon for more Fading History.
Till then.
Your friend,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment